If you do not wish to receive emails from Seascope Training, please contact us
and your details will be removed from our database. Your details will not be shared with anyone without your consent.
About the course
Efficient Deckhand course is both a theoretical and practical course that gives a basic understanding of shipboard operations on Deck.
The pre-requisites for this course are; Candidates must be at least 17 years old, have completed the mandatory STCW courses, and at least one of the following
- MCA accepted Yachtmaster Offshore certificate
- Yacht Rating with at least 6 months sea service
- Service in fishing vessels of more than 15 metres registered length is also acceptable, the required sea time being 12 months
- Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) CoC
What you will learn
The course will cover;
- Shipboard organisation, parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements
- Pilot ladders, gangways, access points
- Cargo – Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers and securing arrangements etc
- Safety – COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, lifeboat and life raft launching
- Seamanship – Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a boson’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parceling and serving
This course is governed under new regulations STCW78 as amended.
Next Course Dates
||13 Oct 18
||17 Oct 18
||12 Nov 18
||16 Nov 18