If you do not wish to receive emails from Seascope Training, please contact us
and your details will be removed from our database. Your details will not be shared with anyone without your consent.
About the course
Efficient Deckhand course is both a theoretical and practical course that gives a basic understanding of shipboard operations on Deck.
Mandatory Requirements for an Efficient Deck Hand Certificate
Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) is the qualifying examination for an Able Seafarer Deck certificate. You must be at least 17 years of age to qualify.
The following certification and experience will permit entry on to the EDH course and examination;
- An MCA-accepted Yachtmaster Offshore; or
- A Yacht Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate5; or
- An NWR Certificate; or
- A Boat Master Licence (BML) Tier 1 level 2 certificate; or
- A Tug Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate or an NWR Certificate.
Note: before an EDH certificate can be issued, a minimum of 6 months’ seagoing service in vessels of 15m or more is required. Seagoing service in category C and D waters will be accepted at full rate.
What you will learn
The course will cover;
- Shipboard organisation, parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements
- Pilot ladders, gangways, access points
- Cargo – Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers and securing arrangements etc
- Safety – COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, lifeboat and life raft launching
- Seamanship – Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a boson’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parcelling and serving
This course is governed under new regulations STCW78 as amended.
Next Course Dates
||26 Jul 21
||30 Jul 21
||06 Sep 21
||10 Sep 21
||18 Oct 21
||22 Oct 21