About the course
Efficient Deckhand course is both a theoretical and practical course that gives a basic understanding of shipboard operations on Deck.
The pre-requisites for this course are; Candidates must be at least 17 years old, have completed the mandatory STCW courses, and at least one of the following
- MCA accepted Yachtmaster Offshore certificate
- Yacht Rating with at least 6 months sea service
- Service in fishing vessels of more than 15 metres registered length is also acceptable, the required sea time being 12 months
- Deck Officer (Fishing Vessel) CoC
What you will learn
The course will cover;
- Shipboard organisation, parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements
- Pilot ladders, gangways, access points
- Cargo – Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers and securing arrangements etc
- Safety – COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, lifeboat and life raft launching
- Seamanship – Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a boson’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parceling and serving
This course is governed under new regulations STCW78 as amended.